Elementary Reptile Lesson
suggested grade levels: 4-6
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will learn how to use the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will write a report regarding information on their selected species.
3. Students will present their reports to the class as a "show and tell".
1. Let each student select a species of reptile native to Idaho, have students tell you their species so you can guide them away from all selecting the same species.
2. Encourage each student to use the Digital Atlas of Idaho to do research and write a report on his or her species. The grade level and teacher should determine the length of the report. Follow the links to the reptile pages. The report should include species characteristics, habitat, distribution, diet, and basic ecology. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, Biology, Reptiles, then on Reptiles Checklist. Click on a selected species of reptile to view information on it. Click on Idaho Distribution from the selected species page to see a map of the distribution of the selected species
3. Have each student give a short presentation to the class on his or her species of reptile.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
Biology: Biology Topics