Your Own Private Idaho
suggested grade levels: 9-12/College
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
Students will use ArcExplorer program to solve a problem, learn more about and have fun with Idaho geography, and become aware of the demands/responsibilities of a Real Estate Agent.
I. Introduce real estate career opportunity
II. Present the problem to the students
A. Retired Couple
B. Seeking lake front property
C. Town 100 > 10,000
III. Assist students in completing project using ArcExplorer
IV. Students generate map of Idaho showing prospective locations
1. Responsibilities of a Real Estate Agent
2. Define "near a town"
3. Define "lake"
4. $$$ situation of couple
5. Cash or Mortgage
6. Build or buy existing structure
7. Size and type of structure
8. Minor children/grandchildren
9. Hobby interests of couple
10. Approximate ages of couple
11. Climate preferences
12. Medical needs
Other Career Choice Assignments:
1. Fish biologist who wants to grow talapia.
2. Sociologist who wants to know how many Idahoans live without electricity.
3. Cheesemaker who wants to know where to locate a new plant.
4. Survival equipment salesman who wants to target rural areas.
5. Herbologish who wants to create a trade route for people seeking natural substitutes for Ritalin.
6. State school athletic director who must redefine school division boundaries for scheduling sporting events.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
Geography: Geography Topics