suggested grade levels: 7-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will learn how to use the climatology section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will be able to describe the characteristics of different types of precipitation.
3. Students will be able to predict what types of precipitation should exist under different conditions.
Students will use the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, Climatology, then on Precipitation Patterns. Encourage your students to explore the Precipitation Pattern page and click on the various links to view the pictures. Use this information to answer the following questions. Click below for a printable pdf handout that you can give your students for this activity.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
clim9AK.pdf | clim9ho.pdf | Precipitation Patterns
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
Many forms of precipitation exist. In this exercise, you will learn about the mechanisms that produce the various types of precipitation. Specific conditions must exist in order for precipitation to occur; the presence of clouds does not guarantee precipitation. The conditions also determine which type of precipitation that may fall. By doing this exercise you will understand how conditions can influence precipitation.
1. In order for a cloud droplet to form and exist, _________________ must exceed _____________________.
2. How can condensation occur when the relative humidity is below 100%?
3. What mechanisms beside condensation are important for precipitation to occur?