suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will use the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will learn about the importance of the mining industry in Idaho.
Give your students the opportunity to learn by having them use the mining section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Idaho Overview, then on Mining. Encourage your students to explore the mining section and have them click on the links to observe the pictures. Have them answer the following questions. For a printable pdf copy of the handout you can give your students, click below on Handout Sample.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo13ho.pdf | geo13AK.pdf | Mining
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
The gold rush is what brought most of the early white settlers to Idaho. Although many of them did not get rich, mining is an important industry in Idaho to this day. Idaho is rich in minerals and should be able to supply our economy with mineral products for many years. The following exercise will help you to gain knowledge of this important industry. Use your knowledge to answer the following questions:
1. Why did miners have to use machinery to make money from mining?
2. What is Idaho's Coeur d'Alene mining district famous for?
3. Which mineral product is Southeast Idaho Famous for?
4. What are the most important metals found in Idaho?