Great Rift System
suggested grade levels: 9-12 / College
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will be become familiar with some geologic history.
2. Students will learn how to do research.
3. Students will be exposed to the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
Use the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Idaho Overview, then on Great Rift System. Read through the great rift pages and click on the various links to observe the pictures. Use this information to answer the following questions included in the handout sample. Click below for a printable pdf copy of the handout sample for your students.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo16ho.pdf | geo16AK.pdf | Great Rift System
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
The Great Rift system is a geological national landmark located in the Snake River Plain. This activity should make you more knowledgeable about this area and its geological significance.
1. What is the Great Rift System?
2. What is King's Bowl and how did it form?
3. What do all of the geological features that make up the Inferno Chasm Rift Zone have in common?
Geology: Geology Topics