suggested grade levels: 7- 8
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will learn how to use the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will be able to predict how adaptations can help an animal survive.
1. Use the Biology section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. Click on Mammals, scroll down until you observe the link on the Snowshoe hare and then click on it. Encourage your students look at the picture of the snowshoe hair and read through the information on them. Have them answer the following questions. For a printable pdf copy of the handout you can give your students, just click below on Handout Sample.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
mam1ho.pdf | mam1AK.pdf | Snowshoe hare
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
This activity will give you the opportunity to learn by comparing and contrasting snowshoe hares at different times of the year. You will observe and predict why these changes have taken place and how they might help the hares survive at different times of the year. You will also get introduced to the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
1. What happens to the fur color of a snowshoe hair at different times of the year?
2. Explain why you think the snowshoe hare's appearance might have evolved this way.
3. How does the diet of the snowshoe hare change depending on the time of year?
Biology: Biology Topics