suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will become familiar with the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will learn about glaciers and what they can do to the landscape.
Encourage your students to explore the glacier section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Idaho Overview, then on Glaciers. Have your students explore the glacier section and encourage them to click on the links to see the pictures of glaciers. Students can work alone or in small groups. Have your students complete the following worksheet. For a printable pdf copy of this worksheet you can give your students, click below.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo4ho.pdf | geo4AK.pdf | Glaciers
Glaciers are structures that can be extremely powerful. Glaciation has dramatically changed some landscapes by scraping and carrying debris for many miles. Traces of glacial erosion and deposition can be found in many areas of Idaho. This activity will help you understand this powerful geological phenomenon.
1. A glacier is a giant piece of ____________.
2. A glacier forms when _____________ piles up year after year without melting.
3. A glacial valley is formed when ________________.
Hydrology: Hydrology Topics