Geography Scavenger Hunt
suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Encourage your students to explore the Geography Basics pages. Advise them to click on the links so they can observe the various pictures. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, mouse-over Geography, then click on Basics.
2. Students can work in pairs if they would like. Teachers can adjust group sizes as they see fit. Using the Digital Atlas, have your students complete the following worksheet (See sample handout). Have them decide where they should go within the Basics site to find the information to answer particular questions.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo22ho.pdf | geo22AK.pdf | Basics
Answer the questions below.
1. How does a topographic map represent elevation changes on a two dimensional surface?
2. As contour lines on a topographic map get closer together, what does that tell us about how steep the slope is getting?
3. When do contour lines cross each other?
Geography: Geography Topics