Concepts of Geology
suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will learn how to use the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will learn about some of the basic concepts in geology.
1. Encourage your students to explore the geology section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, mouse-over Geology, then click on Basics. Students may work in groups depending on how many computers are available in the classroom. Encourage your students to explore the geology section and click on the links to see the pictures. Have the students answer the following questions on the handout. For a printable pdf copy of the handout, click below.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo6ho.pdf | geo6AK.pdf | Basics
Geology is the science that deals with understanding the physical history of the earth, the changes that the earth has undergone, and the rocks that make up the earth. There are many places throughout Idaho where one can find strong evidence of geologic activity. This exercise will give you the opportunity to learn about some of the basic concepts of geology. Answer the following questions using the Digital Atlas.
1. What is the rock record?
2. Does the rock record provide a complete history of the Earth? Why or why not?
3. Why do we depend on our ability to observe, describe, and record geologic phenomena to figure out the geologic history of an area?
Geology: Geology Topics