History of the Hagerman Fossil Beds
suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will be exposed to the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will become familiar with the Geologic History of the Hagerman Fossil Beds.
Encourage your students to use the Hagerman Fossil Beds Section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, Geology, Parks and Monuments, Hagerman Fossil Beds, then on Start Monument Module. Have your students explore the pages and encourage them to click on the links to observe the various pictures. For a printable pdf copy of a handout you can give to your students, click on Handout Sample below.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
geo18ho.pdf | geo18AK.pdf | Start Monument Module
The Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument in Hagerman, Idaho is famous for the wide variety of fossils that can be found there. This site is particularly famous for the Hagerman Horse that once roamed Idaho. By doing this activity, you will have a much better understanding about the Hagerman Fossil Beds and what fossils tell us about geologic history.
1. How did the Hagerman Valley form?
2. What have scientists learned about the ancient climate of Idaho from the fossils found at Hagerman Fossil Beds? Describe the paleoclimate for this region based on the flora and faunal data. Has the climate of today changed from Hagerman days?
3. Describe the differences between the paleofloras and faunas during the Hagerman days and the flora and fauna of today.
Geology: Geology Topics