suggested grade levels: 9-12
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will learn how to use the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will learn basic climatology concepts.
1. Encourage your students to use the climatology basic section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. This exercise can be done in groups of 2-3 students.
2. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, Climatology, then on Basics. Have your students explore the FAQ, and Diagram links. Encourage your students to read through the material and examine the pictures. Have each group complete the following worksheet. For a printable pdf copy of the handout, click below.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
clim6ho.pdf | Basics
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
This exercise consists of an overview of some basic concepts in climatology. This activity can serve as an introduction or a review of what we know about climate. Be sure to click on the links to see the pictures to get a better understanding of this subject.
1. Draw and label the symbols for the different types of fronts and kinds of precipitation.
2. Make a diagram of the rain shadow effect.
3. What is the difference between weather and climate?
4. How many different air masses converge at an occluded front?