suggested grade levels: 7- 8
view Idaho achievement standards for this lesson
1. Students will use the general climate section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho.
2. Students will learn some basic concepts about climatology.
1. Encourage your students to use the Climatology section of the Digital Atlas of Idaho. To get there: Click on Atlas Home, Climatology, then on General Climate.
2. Have your students read through the information contained in the Digital Atlas on this section. Encourage them to click on the links so they can observe the pictures. Have them answer the following questions on the handout. For a printable pdf copy of the handout you can give your students, click below.
These are links to access the handouts and printable materials.
clim5ho.pdf | clim5AK.pdf | General Climate
The sample questions below are shown in the printed handout.
The climate of an area is influenced by many factors. By doing this exercise, you will learn about how these factors influence climate.Answer the following questions using the Digital Atlas, the Internet and your library as sources of information and imagery (as needed):
1. What is the rain shadow effect?
2. What are condensation nuclei?
3. Briefly describe how a raindrop forms.
4. List and describe six commonly seen cloud types. For each one use a pen or pencil and sketch their shapes, or find a unique picture to print or cut out, and paste in.
5. What kind of weather is typical to your hometown/city? What are your seasonal highs/lows for temperature? What about precipitation?