|Aerial view looking east at the Silent City of Rocks, (October, 1990). The fins of the Almo Granite pluton (intruded about 30 million years ago) trend north-northwest. In the distance is the old stage station west of Almo at the entrance to the City of Rocks.|
|View of rhyolite lava on the summit of the Cotterel Mountains east of Albion, looking east across the Raft River Valley to the snow-covered northern Sublett Range (March, 1995).|
|Foliated quartzite of Oakley stone, Albion Range. Rock is Late Proterozoic schistose Clark's Basin Quartzite, (September, 1979).|
and the Jim Sage Mountains
The Jim Sage mountains west of Raft River Valley contain several tilted Miocene rhyolite lava flows and ash-flow tuffs. They are best known for rattlesnakes and obsidian.
of the Cassia County Area
The first settlers to Cassia County area were Mormon emigrants from northwestern Utah, who came in the early 1870s. Beecherville (now Elba, named after the Mediterranean island where Napoleon had been in exile) was founded on upper Cassia Creek, eighteen miles east of Oakley, in 1873. Almo was founded in 1878 and named Alamo, after the great cottonwoods that grew there. The name became shortened to Almo.
Mary Jane Gorringe Tolman, quoted in Arrington (1979, p. 38-39) speaks of Mormon cooperative farming in the Oakley area in the 1880s.
Albion, at the foot of the range that bears its name, was called Marsh Valley and used by cattlemen in the 1860s. It was settled in 1869 and was county seat of Cassia County from 1879 to 1919.