Camp Coeur d' Alene was established in 1877 on a site chosen for its scenic beauty by General William T. Sherman. The fort stretched along the shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene for a half mile. It was subjected to periodic flooding as it was only five feet higher than the lake surface.
The fort was occupied by troops from Spokane Falls. The camp was officially named Fort Coeur d'Alene on April 16, 1878. In 1887, it was renamed to Fort Sherman.
The three primary missions of the fort's residents were to keep the peace in northern Idaho, to keep a watchful eye on the Canadian border, and to protect railroad and telegraph crews that were establishing lines through the region.
The town (now a city) of Coeur d'Alene was established at the same time as the fort and was incorporated in 1877 with a population of only 36. In 1882 a mining boom in the Panhandle caused Coeur d'Alene to become a boom town.
Trouble with the Canadians never arose, and Fort Sherman was abandoned in 1900. The original chapel, facing the old parade grounds still serves as a church. The officers quarters are now apartment houses.
From Spokane, Washington, take US 10 east 10 miles to Coeur d'Alene, turn right to the City Park; four blocks west is the site of the fort.